Fleas Leave Us Alone
The April showers have passed (hopefully), and summer is in sight! We’re thriving… but so are fleas and ticks. Should they pounce onto your pet, these pesky insects can cause mild irritation, like constant scratching, or serious health issues, such as Lyme disease and tapeworms. Here are the most noteworthy facts about these fleas, how to prevent an invasion, and tips on natural flea treatment if infestation occurs. Facts on Fleas and Ticks A flea’s life consists of 4-stages:
- Pupa – hardest stage to kill
- Humidity: Fleas and ticks require a high humidity level (ideally around 70%) for survival.
- Landscape: Ticks generally live in the wooded areas with leaves and bushes. Fleas like shaded, damp spaces. Both rural and suburban areas, including the garden or dog park, could play hunting ground for these creepy crawlers.
- Light: Fleas and ticks thrive in dark, humid areas.
- If your pet has fleas, you can knock adult pests out with Capstar, an oral pill that kills adult fleas within 30 minutes.
- Monthly topical medications like Advantage II, Frontline, Sentinel, and K9 Advantix are all options for flea and tick prevention.
- If you prefer a gentler version or can't remember to apply monthly topical, Bayer's new Seresto collar releases low concentrations of flea-killing potions. As a result, it will protect your pet for up to 8 months.
- If you prefer a more natural flea treatment, Wondercide products use organic, food-grade materials to protect pets, people, and property.
- The active ingredient in Wondercide Flea & Tick products is cedar oil, which works by blocking octopamine--necessary to regulate heart rate, movement, and metabolism in “bad bugs” like fleas and ticks.
- Use the EcoTreat formula, an insect control concentrate, to kill and repel countless pests, including fleas and ticks.
- Other treatment and prevention kits for homes, apartments, people and pets are safe for use on all surfaces, plants and animals.