March is Poison Prevention Month!
Many of us are aware of some obvious household items are hazardous to our pets’ health: bleach, anti-freeze, etc. But while some items are clearly not meant to be ingested by our furry friends, others in the home are not so obvious. The good news: poisonous accidents can be prevented. Compare the following list with items in your home, and make sure any culprits are safely out of reach from your four-legged family members:
Many common household flowers and plants are surprisingly toxic to dogs and cats. The bulbs of some plants are particularly poisonous, but best practice is to keep the below plants (and many more) out of reach of nibbly pets. If your pet has an affinity for grazing on greens, be more safe than sorry: keep the below plants at a safe distance:
Cat households, especially, should be free of lilies
, and dog households should avoid azaleas.
Ingestion of even a few petals or leaves could be fatal. While not as dangerous as the aforementioned flowers, the following are also poisonous to our pets:
We're all a little guilty of occasionally giving our begging pets some food off our plates, but steer clear of sharing things like:
Here's a more in-depth look
- Nuts like macadameia, pecans, almonds, and walnuts
- Grapes and raisins
- Yeast dough
- Garlic, chives, and onion
at why the above foods may be harmful to Fido.
Any product containing organophosphates and large amounts of iron can lead to seizures, vomiting, bloody stool, liver and heart issues. These are products like:
- Weed killers
- Pest control products
Team Tomlinson's loves Wondercide
- an all-natural line of products for grooming and pest prevention. With ingredients such as cedar oil, lemongrass, rosemary, honey, oatmeal, bentonite clay, and citronella, pet parents can confidently protect their pets, property, and person from bugs without fear of harmful chemicals. Cleaners
It's likely that there are hazardous items in every home, especially when considering common cleaners such as:
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Oven cleaner
- Carpet freshening powders and shampoos
- Grill cleaner
- Fabric softener sheets
While contact with small amounts of these cleaners are not necessarily deadly, they will certainly irritate your pets' digestive and respiratory systems. We suggest closely following the instructions printed on the label, throwing away dirty or unused solutions, and putting away mops, sponges, and other cleaning aids. Medications and Cosmetics
While the following products may seem innocent, they can be extremely toxic for our four-legged family members:
- Mosquito repellent
- Petroleum jelly
- Nicotine patches
There are very few human medications that are also approved for use in pets, including over the counter pain relievers. Only use these medications on your pets under strict supervision of your vet, and follow recommended dosages to avoid an overdose.
Any product that contains nicotine, a rapid acting toxin, is severely poisonous to dogs and cats. Be on high alert for these, as they are often kept in purses, cars, or other areas that our curious pets might gain access to without our knowledge. DEET, an active ingredient found in most mosquito repellent products for people, has been known to cause neurological problems in animals. Your veterinarian should prescribe monthly heartworm medication, which usually comes in the form of a tasty treat and protects your pet from the effects of mosquitoes. Please keep in mind that this list is certainly not exhaustive. If you ever have questions about something your pet has come in contact with, give your veterinarian a call. Which of these items did you know were potentially dangerous, and which were you aware of? Don’t forget to share your newfound knowledge over on our Facebook page
! Sources: ASPCA, Pet Poison Helpline